Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

He vomited for the second time in a week. He had a

Customer Question

Hi.
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: He vomited for the second time in a week. He had a vaccination then went down with a temperature so had a jab to bring it down. Since then he has been sick on two occasions. He's been off his food and eating it in bits, here and there.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, just a new fish4dogs treat, a teeny bit of cooked egg yolk, a bit of porridge with milk. Tiny bits just for treats.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear, age 30 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: He has luxating patella and occasional collapsed trachea.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My dog had the Versican brand of vaccination.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he vomited immediately after eating AATU, a kibble I've fed him for a few weeks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My dog had the vaccine about 2-3 weeks ago. He had a fever the next day and needed an injection to bring it down. The next week, he vomited once and this happened again yesterday.Today, he has been on rice and a bit of Lily's Kitchen Recovery food.He has been his normal self and hungry.The AATU is a kibble I normally feed him on - it's been about 5 weeks he has been eating this food. It is high protein, 80/20.
I'm worried it is too rich.
I wonder if I ought to feed him this recovery food for a week.Could the Versican have harmed his digestive system? It is my main concern.Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bear is a 5kg chihuahua, he's not overweight as such as he has a nice belly tuck.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience with dogs. I'm sorry to hear of Bear's problem. if you still need help, let me know if there have been any changes. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, thank you for responding. Bear has been okay today - I starved him a bit and tried him on rice, then the recovery food.But as he has vomited twice - once each week since his Versican vaccination, I'm concerned that his digestive system might have been upset.I'm wondering whether to take him off the AATU food or to leave him on it, am just not sure whether to put this down to the vaccine or his food.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Dogs can react to vaccines by vomiting, but that normally passes in a few days. I think something else is wrong. It may be the food. I would skip his next meal, then begin feeding nothing but the rice with a little lean chicken in it. Try this for several days. If Bear vomits again, it would be best to have your vet examine him. I would ask for bloodwork to detect any internal organ problems.

but the answer to your main question is that, no, this vaccine has not been linked to any actual digestive system damage. If you have more questions just let me know. I hope Bear will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, I'm grateful and found that helpful. May I just check: I have purchase a food called Lily's Kitchen and this claims to be as sensitive as chicken and rice. It has good gut bacteria in it as well and banana. So, I hope I can keep him on this for a week and review the food situation in the meantime. I do hope it's okay to have him on this food as he's not be introduced over several days? Might you give me your opinion- a photo of the label is attached. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the label. Yes, that food should be fine. Chicken and rice is so easy on the stomach that it's all right to use without a slow introduction. This food is very high quality and appears to be mostly chicken and rice. I would go ahead with it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Anna

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! Happy New Year!
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
You're very welcome. Happy New Year to you, too.