Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our 10 month old male golden retriever was hit by a car a

Customer Question

our 10 month old male golden retriever was hit by a car a couple of hours ago he is currently stable and they are waiting for the iv and pain killers to work before X-ray ing him for internal injuries - i was just wondering what the worst case scenario could be he was able to stand and bear his body weight and wag tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: alfie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about alfie?
Customer: no ok except i am in uk - does that work
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was Alfie able to walk in to the vet clinic on his own accord?

Any abnormalities noted?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
no he couldnt walk in
although he then was able to stand when inside the vet
he seems ok on the outside - temperature normal and breathing ok
dragging one of his hind legs a bit and blood coming from his toes
they have put him on an iv drip and are giving him fluids antibiotics and painkillers but need to xray him to check
diaphragm and internal organs
they need to do this with him without anaesthetic as it would be too much for him apparently as he may still be in shock etc

Appearing normal on the outside is not always an indicator of what is going on inside of the body, which Im sure your vet has impressed upon you when mentioning IV catheter, fluids, stabilization procedures and eventually needing x-rays and possibly other diagnostics. We typically try to avoid anesthesia/sedation for pets who were hit by car. Some some cases, they may be needed. The x-rays will be prioritized based on his stability and condition. A dog we suspect needs to be rushed to surgery post-trauma will be put under anesthesia for rescue efforts. However, we would avoid sedating a dog who might otherwise suffer worse consequences from these medications vs. being allowed to stabilize for a period. Shocky patients can go either way and we typically give medication and time the benefit of the doubt before stressing them further.

Best case scenario, he just needs a few days of observation and hospitalization. Nothing is broken or bleeding and he gets to go home for a close eye to be kept on him. Worst case scenario, something is broken or internal injury/bleeding has occurred and rescue attempts must be made in order to save his life. It's my general impression that it's a good sign he was able to stand and was wagging his tail. However, I have also witnessed patients being hit by car that arrived in such a condition that died. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have also witnessed patients who were lateral and non-responsive on arrival who survived their injuries and went home with their family within a few days.