Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

2 week old pup constantly wining and also lost weight,

Customer Question

2 week old pup constantly wining and also lost weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Simon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?
Customer: Seen a little blood when i tried to poop him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I've also been breeding for over 20 years as well.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What breed is your pup?

How many pups in the litter?

When did the pup start losing weight?

Has he been nursing well?

Any milk coming out of his nose?

Has the litter been dewormed?

How are the other pups doing?

Any bloating of the abdomen?

What color were his feces if you saw them before now?

Is the pup cold?

Any gasping for breath?

Are you an experienced breeder?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 7 english bulldog pups simon started losing weight 2 days ago before then he was nursing well no milk is coming out his nose the litter has not been dewormed but the rest of the pups are fine.there is no bloating, haven't seen his feces and he does not appear to be cold.
He's not gasping for air this is my first litter and i have switched him to the bottle.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

There are a couple of things that could be an issue. With bulldogs you can have some abnormalities of the palate and other airway issues found in the breed. This may be a problem with the pup which is leading to him not being able to nurse well. Read more on this here:

http://vet4bulldog.com/zen-bulldog-maintenance/breathing-problems-in-bulldogs-and-french-bulldogs/elongated-soft-palate-in-bulldogs-and-french-bulldogs/

Another possible cause is herpes. With herpes a pup will often cry excessively, have bruising or stomach discomfort, and or greenish yellow fecal matter. They do tend to have a loss of appetite as well. This strikes pups too young to regulated their own body temperature. Prognosis is not good for pups with herpes when pups are under 3 weeks of age. Some breeders will try to keep the whelping area very hot to help combat the herpes. You can read about herpes here:

http://www.2ndchance.info/herpesvirusdog.htm

A heavy worm load can lead to a pup who fails to thrive as well. Mom and pups should be dewormed every 2 weeks starting at 2 weeks of age. Don't deworm the pup until your vet has given him a quick check over. Now with bottle feeding you have a much higher chance of the pup developing pneumonia from aspirated milk so be pretty careful when feeding. What I usually do is remove the other pups and let the non thriving pup have first choice of nipples for nursing and only let the other pups nurse once that pup has drank its full. Often putting a dab of karo / pancake syrup on the nipple will stimulate the pup into sucking and boost their blood sugar levels as well.

This site goes over ways of helping save fading puppies.

http://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/fading.html

I would have this pup seen by your vet as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.