Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog has a history of seizures. My vet gave me

Customer Question

My dog has a history of seizures. My vet gave me phenobarbital tablets to give her when she has one. It started almost 2 hours ago and she's still shaking her head and foaming a bit. We've given her 2 tablets already
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mavis
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mavis?
Customer: I adopted her 2 1/2 years ago. We believe she was abused because she has a bent tail and many scars. She is a bulldog/pit mix and about 50 lbs. she is 7 years old
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 27 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 27 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that Mavis has a history of seizures and is currently having seizures for the past two hours, despite dosing with phenobarbital.

Oral phenobarbital works much better as a preventative drug given on a routine basis as it needs to hit a certain blood level to be effective. Most of the time it does not work well when given when seizures are already occurring. At that point intravenous drugs are much, much more effective and they often need to be given at a fairly high level to get the seizure episode under control. These pups often need to be sedated deeply to stop the cycle.

Given that Mavis has been seizuring for 2 hours now we need to worry about a dangerous spike in body temperature due to the amount of muscle activity she has had, which can lead to brain damage.

I highly recommend that Mavis be seen at an emergency clinic for hospitalization and intravenous medication to stop her seizure cycle.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.