Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog ate some aquaphor from a tube, and her stomach is now

Customer Question

my dog ate some aquaphor from a tube, and her stomach is now bloated 2 hours later and she is in pain. Drinking alot of water. She is acting fine, running on demand, eating but bloated and unhappy. She chewed the tub and probably licked about a teaspoon of aqauphor
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rosie, and she is a 20 pound min pin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please share a list of ingredients on the tube you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Petroleum , mineral oil, ceresin,lanolin alcohol,panthenol, glycerin,bisabolol

Rosie is likely going to experience some diarrhea and flatulence from ingesting the aquaphor. If the bloated appearance continues, you see dry heaving, she begins vomiting, etc. it would be advisable to have her examined.

To help with the gas buildup, you can give her a 1/4 of a normal dose of regular gas-x for adults.

You should also move her over to a bland diet for a few days to prevent/treat diarrhea. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay and how long would you wait out the bloating and pain sounds she is making ? It's been going on about an hour?

If she is greatly uncomfortable, I would see the vet promptly. Otherwise, I would give the gas-x and wait an hour. If she's still showing no improvement, I would have her examined.