Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 month old maltese. house trained. stays in kitchen

Customer Question

my 6 month old maltese. house trained. stays in kitchen area. came home and she is limping and whimpering. not sure why or what happen. very quiet but still eats.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I don't see anything
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: maybe she banged on the kitchen table
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: muffin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is it a fore or hind leg?

Is she holding the leg up or dragging it?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Will she allow you to flex and extend each joint?

Any chance of a trauma or fall?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, only since yesterday evening. Hind leg and she is holding it up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No swelling or tenderness.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Since she is holding it up, can she put it down at all? Even for a moment?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She does put it down, but when she is walking she holds it up. Its so weird I don't understand how this happened. It concerns me. She is not her self at all. She is eating and pooping like normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I am glad that she can put it down. The reason I asked is because we needed to differentiate whether she's holding it up because it is sore or whether she is unable to put it down. If she can put it down for even a moment, then that suggests the former and the latter (a sign of hip dislocation and an emergency) is less likely. So, we can breathe a wee sigh of relief for that. Otherwise, her ability to hold it up and not drag the leg makes nerve damage also unlikely for her. And while we cannot rule out hair line fractures (we can even see odd ones in pups her age at the hip joint), these are hopefully less likely with the bone stability you found. Therefore, we'd be most concerned that she may have strained or bruised the muscles in her leg and this is causing her discomfort and lameness. And this is something a hard bump on the table could have caused.

Now with this in mind, the first point of call if you have not already, will be to restrict her activity. Therefore, we don't want her jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate this strain. Furthermore, for the next few days, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting. Also, as long as she is amenable, you can also warm compress her sore leg. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Finally, if you feel that she is very sore, you can consider offering her a low dose of buffered aspirin (as long as she is on no other anti-inflammatories). This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations. Of course, if she is in severe pain, then we'd prefer a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior. Still, you can read more about using aspirin and the dose for her size @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin. And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Overall, based on your description, we'd be less worried about dislocations, nerve damage or full thickness fractures but would be concerned about sprains and bruising causing her signs. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to ease her soreness and help her settle. And if she is very sore or isn't improving over the next few days, then we'd want to speak to her vet about those strong dog specific pain relief options +/- an xray to pinpoint what she has damaged and get her back on her feet and feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.