Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He got hit in his eye with a rope and he screamed now his

Customer Question

He got hit in his eye with a rope and he screamed now his right pupil is dilated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Queso he's a rescue so his estimated age is just under a year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this injury with Queso's eye. How long ago did the rope hit that eye? Is he keeping it open at this time or is he holding it shut or squinting with it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
About 15 minutes ago. We have a bag of frozen broccoli for a cold compress on it for maybe 5-8 minutes. He still has his eye open once we take the compress off.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 days ago.

Ok. That is pretty early in the course of this injury. What would be the big thing to watch for here as far as indication of more injury to the eye is holding it closed or squinting with it. If this is seen, then could that eye have gotten an abrasion / ulcer on it from the blow. If he's keeping it open and not doing this, then the injury may not be that serious. IF he's starting to hold it shut or squint with it, he needs to be seen by the vet to have it stained to look for an ulcer. If blood starts to come from the eye or appear inside of it, this would be needing an exam too. If he's holding it open, then maybe just some time and rest is needed.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He was holding his eye open fine, with very little squinting. Even now, when I take the compress away he opens the eye right up. Only thing I can see for sure is some dilation. But, the pupil is already bigger than it was.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 days ago.

The dilation may not be bad. What is typically more of a problem if it is miotic (narrowed). A miotic eye is more suspicious for an ulcer being there. I would feel that the compress most likely isn't needed now. If he's opening it and keeping it open, then maybe just the blow hurt and time is needed now.