Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He is acting totally different than himself. My son tripped

Customer Question

He is acting totally different than himself. My son tripped and fell on him earlier and he has thrown up since and is not right. He didnt even want a treat. He is about 150 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No but he dies get in the trash alit. This morning.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Does
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Axle
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I'm sorry to hear that Axel is not feeling well.

Has he recently been into the trash? Was your comment of 'this morning' in regards ***** ***** this happened?

Has he had any change in diet? new food? new treats? human food? holiday food?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ya he gets in the trash alot so idk what he got. Hes done this frequently and eats whole paper towels. Which he passed. But idk what he ate from the trash today

I suspect the cause of him vomiting is not due to your son tripping over him but because of getting into the trash.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello

Are you able to see my reply above? I'll post it again below.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can it be nexxium? Or does it have to be pepcid?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am not seeing your response if you have about the pepcid

Pepcid is what I prefer because it works well for dogs. There is limited data available for the usage of nexium but 70mg is the dosage needed for a 150# ***** with no known illnesses or meds being given. Give this once daily on an empty stomach.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Recommendation to get it down him? He didnt want to eat.

You will probably need to pill him. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5Iil1hCAg

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How do i get it down him?

By pilling him. Did the link above work for you? It shows how to medicate a dog who is not interested in taking a pill willingly.