Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

German Shepherd scratching like crazy. I've tried changing

German Shepherd scratching like crazy. I've tried changing her food, brushing her, ... Vet suggested we try benadryl if nothing helped (it hasn't). Not sure what dose. She weighs about 70 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nika. She'll be 4 in January.
JA: How old is Nika?
Customer: almost 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nika?
Customer: No. Otherwise healthy. From very good breeder. No fleas or other causes. Again, local vet recommended Benadryl. I've been delaying meds since I hoped to find "natural" fix. I feel bad for her and want to see if this will help.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Benadryl is dosed at 1-2mg/pound....so a 70 pound dog like Nika could get between 3-6 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 10 hours or so.

You may also want to talk to your vet about getting her on something longer lasting such as Temaril P or Atopica. There's also some injectable medications that can help keep allergies in check.

But I'd definitely start with the Benadryl.

I hope this helps;

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks!

You're very welcome!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa