Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

When my dog is walking around the house she'll sometimes

Customer Question

When my dog is walking around the house she'll sometimes stop and stare at the floor for around 5 seconds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There isn't any wound
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's around 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hula?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

going by her age, providing you are not seeing any seizure activity I would look into Canine cognitive Dysfunction. This is similar to human dementia where the dog begins to display odd behaviors, forgetful behaviors. Over time you may notice more oddities. Some dogs will even forget they they potty outside and end up soiling the house.

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over this. What I would do is video tape the behavior so you can show your Vet. Your Vet is going to ask you several questions to determine if this is CCD . There is medication for this that your vet can prescribe.

CCD

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

Seizure activity , such as focal seizures can also show a change in behavior so you will also want to discuss that with your Vet.