Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog ate the whole bottle of seroquel. Not sure when or

Customer Question

Our dog ate the whole bottle of seroquel. Not sure when or which dog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie 2yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

What does Minnie weigh?

How much was in the bottle? What milligrams?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now I have not heard back from you but as this is a time sensitive situation, I want to post my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply. Now we need to be proactive here since this drug can cause sedation, and changes to the heart and breathing rate.

Therefore, if she had this in the past 2 hours (provided she isn't sedated yet), we can induce vomiting to as much of this out of her system. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Of course, any struggles to carry out the above for any reason or if she is sedate already, then we'd want her to her local vet urgently for symptomatic care and fluids to flush this from her system. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )