Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Both my dogs are 13 years old. one has valley fever for the

Customer Question

both my dogs are 13 years old. one has valley fever for the last 5 years and has a huge cancer on his lip that gives him troubles eating and busts opens at least once a day. they are both going deaf and a little blind. the other one has a cancer on his anus that bleeds all the time and it is hard for him to poop. it just falls out hard and bloody. I don't know what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: ooshii and Akura. they are brothers that never been apart.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ooshii?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand your concerns at this time. Our major concerns should be our patients' quality of life and the caretaker's ability to provide the appropriate husbandry for their dogs. It's important to recognize that invasive cancers such as found on the lip and anus are painful. They're not amenable to conservative therapy and surgical resection isn't reasonable at their age and with the prognosis for these cancers even if they were removed. In addition, dogs become quite anxious when in pain and so holistically speaking, conservative therapy should involve not only a potent narcotic analgesic but an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) drug as well.

However, in regards ***** ***** husbandry required by the caretaker, we need to consider the endless attention required to manage bleeding cancers which not only are painful and unsightly but unsanitary to caretakers as well. In consideration of the above, I regret to say that I would consider euthanasia of your dogs to be a kindness to all involved.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.