Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our miniature poodle had surgery 10 days ago. She is eating

Customer Question

Our miniature poodle had surgery 10 days ago. She is eating and seems normal other then she doesn't want to drink. If she does drink she burps. She is on medication for the pain. Do you think this is due to stomach upset?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the miniature poodle's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She is 9 years old. She is healthy and her labs are always normal. Our standard poodle and her were playing and he stepped on her foot and it blew out her metatarsal joint. They put a plate in it. She was Also on amoxicillan but finished that yesterday. She is showing no signs of infection
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Which pain relief drug is she on?

Can she eat normally?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

She is on rimadyl. She is eating food and treats normally.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

If she is on Rimadyl, then it is quite possible this is due to low grade stomach upset or acid reflux from that medication. Therefore, we'd want to consider starting Bella on an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) to counter any nausea and reduce stomach acid levels at this stage. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. As well, just to get some more fluids into her if she isn't keen to drink, do consider offering canned food (as its 35% water) or even consider soaking any hard food/kibble diets. That way we can sneak in some more fluids as we try to tackle this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.