Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

MINI PIN ANAL SAC IS SWOLLEN, SHES IN PAIN I WAS LOOKING

Customer Question

MINI PIN ANAL SAC IS SWOLLEN
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: SHES IN PAIN I WAS LOOKING INTO IT TO SEE IF I NEED TO TAKE HER TO EMERGENCY VET. HER NAME ISS BAMBI AND SHE IS 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bambi?
Customer: SHE HAS NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE BUT WAS SICK RECENTLY AND WAS GIVEN . HOLD ON LET ME GET THEM
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 12 days ago.

hi there , my name is***** and i'll try to help you and little Bambi out tonight. How do you know her anal sac is swollen. Can you see? the area? Is she dragging her butt or licking at it? Is it bleeding or do you see any pus back there? What were you going to get? some recent antibiotics?

If it is anal gland issues she will certainly need to see the vet, although, I do not regard this necessarily as an emergency. It is probably something you can wait until tomorrow morning for. If she'll let you, get a warm wet wash cloth and place it on the site for a few minutes. This will help with any swelling.

About how much does she weigh?

If you go to www.veterinarypartner.com and search anal glands there's a good site there to learn more about anal glands and anal gland abscesses and rupture. It can be very painful to the poor dog.

I have to go off line for the night but will check back tomorrow morning.