Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our dog just ate about 2 pounds of gummy bears. Now he is

Customer Question

Our dog just ate about 2 pounds of gummy bears. Now he is throwing up. Should we be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's usually very hyper and isn't even playing now. He just lays there.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are these the regular or sugar-free variety?

How large is this dog?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They are reagular hating gold bears. He weighs about 65-70 pounds
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry. They are Haribo gold bears.

Chances are the vomiting is going to continue for a while yet to clear his system of the bears. These are primarily high fructose corn syrup which is irritating to the GI tract. I would give him another 15-30 minutes to produce these gummy bears and then take the following steps. Expect vomiting and diarrhea, but if the symptoms persist for longer than 2 hours you should seek medical assistance. Often injectable meds are needed to help calm the symptoms.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800