Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern about Decoy. I do have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:
How long ago might she have ingested this drug?
How is she behaving?
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
We would expect clinical signs within 6 hours (sometimes within minutes) after ingestion of this drug so enough time probably hasn't passed for signs to develop.
However, our level of concern for this drug would be 3.2 mg/kg which calculates out to be 13 mg for a dog this size....so it might be best to induce vomiting if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide since it's only been 10 minutes.
The dose of fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) would be 1 teaspoon for a dog this size, mixed with bread and then walk her around. Repeat the dose in 15 minutes if she hasn't vomited. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.
If you're unsuccessful and/or you don't have peroxide, signs which might be seen include trembling, fever, shaking or possibly lethargy. Should these signs develop, a vet visit would be prudent.
I hope this helps. Deb
You're more than welcome.
Hopefully, it will be successful but if it's not, let's hope he didn't actually ingest the medication.
I'm getting ready to log off for the night but it's my hope that you have all of the information you need to deal with this situation.