Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

May have just eaten 15 milligrams of abilify....trying to

Customer Question

may have just eaten 15 milligrams of abilify....trying to find information on this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Decoy, 1 year old, 9 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Decoy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Decoy. I do have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

How long ago might she have ingested this drug?

How is she behaving?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
he is behaving normally, and it's been about 10 minutes
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

We would expect clinical signs within 6 hours (sometimes within minutes) after ingestion of this drug so enough time probably hasn't passed for signs to develop.

However, our level of concern for this drug would be 3.2 mg/kg which calculates out to be 13 mg for a dog this size....so it might be best to induce vomiting if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide since it's only been 10 minutes.

The dose of fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) would be 1 teaspoon for a dog this size, mixed with bread and then walk her around. Repeat the dose in 15 minutes if she hasn't vomited. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If you're unsuccessful and/or you don't have peroxide, signs which might be seen include trembling, fever, shaking or possibly lethargy. Should these signs develop, a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
we have administered the peroxide. thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

You're more than welcome.

Hopefully, it will be successful but if it's not, let's hope he didn't actually ingest the medication.

Deb

I'm getting ready to log off for the night but it's my hope that you have all of the information you need to deal with this situation.

Good luck.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb