Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I had this stray show up today and it was matted and

I had this stray show up today and it was matted and tangled, so I bathed it and was trimming it's hair and I accidentally cut his tail. I only cut the tip but it was bleeding and I was looking for some type of styptic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray dog?
Customer: Other than the filth, it seems to be in good condition. We live right next to some woods and it looks like he might have gotten lost. I was planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow to have them check for a chip but now I think I've made the poor little guy worse!

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

There are few ways to stop the bleeding. It will clot and stop bleeding eventually.

One of the best things you can do is apply direct pressure for 15 minutes straight.

Do not peek and see if it has stopped bleeding until the 15 minutes are up.

Taking the pressure off may make the bleeding start again.

Use firm pressure.

If that does not work try a cold pack or a bag of frozen veggies. Hold the cold on the spot for 5-10 minutes.

If you have a non stick pad or can cut one out of a large band aid you could tape that on if you have any non-stick tape.

And finally if the drug stores or walmart are still open where you live you can buy a septic pencil. That is what men use to stop the bleeding when they cut themselves shaving.

I have to say thank you for rescuing him and taking care of him. He does sound lost and I am sure he is happy you have found him.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions for me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it was already under control, but I was worried anyway. Thanks for your help!!! I feel much better now and hopefully he will soon too!

You are welcome. Once the bleeding has stopped, as in a few hours or tomorrow morning, you can start applying over the counter neosporin or antibiotic ointment twice a day to help prevent infection.