Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I rescued Jimmy one week ago. He is a 38 lb 2 y.o. "shepherd

Customer Question

I rescued Jimmy one week ago. He is a 38 lb 2 y.o. "shepherd mix" I have him on the same food as the rescue. Everything fine 2 bowel movements a day until today. He vomited fecal smelling brown mess x2. Then he pooped the same color foam. I know he stole a piece of cake on Thursday. What do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. A piece of pretzel, and turkey very small. The neighbor gave him a treat along with their dogs? I try to avoid treats from China and they were not quality treats?
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Vomiting a substance that smells and looks a lot like fecal matter is one sign of an intestinal obstruction. Often a dog with an intestinal obstruction is unable to defecate or only able to defecate small amounts of diarrhea. That might be the foam fecal matter you saw if the obstruction is a partial obstuction. It is often caused by the ingestion of a small ball or bones or other non food items like rawhides and greenies. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In addition, if bones were ingested, they can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I know this isn't good news and is potentially life threatening since if the blockage is not corrected in a timely manner the intestines can become damaged and may have to be removed. I have to recommend you have him seen as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.