Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I suspect my dog ate something and has a blockage now. He

Customer Question

I suspect my dog ate something and has a blockage now. He had a rather quick onset; the first we kind of noticed is that when we were playing he just stopped, and sat down looking a bit distraught. He is usually pretty playful (but ingests everything that lands in his path). He ate dinner, but seemed a bit reluctant about it. We didn't see what he did after that. But he is iin obvious discomfort; is curling up in his crate (unusual;) and wants to go outside but them wants to come in immediately. It is night time where I am and I need to know if this will be okay until the morning when we can get him to a vet. Or if there is anything we can do that might help him with the blockage.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ??? Digest what? The dog's name is ***** ***** he is about 1.5 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mac?
Customer: not now
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Mac still willing to eat?

Are you seeing difficult defecating or vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. He seems to want to go but then comes back in. He might have vomited after eating, but we were not with him. He mostly seems very uncomfortable.

If he's not eating, there's not a great deal that can be done. If you believe he's vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

However, if he vomits this back up you're going to do best keeping a close eye on him and having him examined just as quickly as you can. Blockages often have to be addressed surgically and if a pet cannot or will not ingest anything trying to get the blockage to pass on its own is often a moot (and messy) venture.