Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Well let me back up a few months. She was in heat in

Customer Question

Well let me back up a few months. She was in heat in July/August. We moved into a new state and she was used to being in a fence, but now she free to run/ sneak off. I when the gestational period was over with no puppies. She has been licking her bottom since then. I bathed her today and it feels like her vagina is sticking out. She is almost 13.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Skye
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: She is still chasing the ball normally, but does look she has lost weight. She was examined in July
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The problem with older dogs not being spayed is they can develop pyometra which often owners think is just a heat cycle that came a little early. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

You do not mention any of these symptoms, but I do want you to be aware of them since open pyometra can lead to weight loss while your dog remains fairly healthy. Now there is a condition called uterine or vaginal prolapse. When this occurs. you will often see a tongue shaped or roundish piece of tissue protruding from the vulva. Additional symptoms are licking of the vulva, painful urination and not allowing breeding. If your dog can still urinate, it is not generally an emergency, but your dog should see the vet as soon as possible. If your dog can not urinate, then she needs to see the Vet immediately. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/uterine-prolapse-in-dogs/page1.aspx

With the weight loss, I would not wait too long to have her seen. Treatment for pyometra is usually emergency spaying. The sooner it is caught the higher the chance she will survive surgery. If it is caught very early antibiotics MIGHT help though often spaying is still necessary.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.
Hi Connie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.