Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has diarhea that has just today turned to all blood and

Customer Question

She has diarhea that has just today turned to all blood and foamy vomit. She is drinking tons of water. She last ate yesterday afternoon. She is a pomeranian shitzu mix and 5 years old. I think she may have gotten into the turkey carcass i threw outside the day after Thanksgiving. Her nose is still cold to the touch. She only lays down briefly and acts like she is extremely uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: The diarhea started on Saturday morning I think. All of her shots were up to date until last month. I hope it is not anything serious. She is my baby.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm afraid that this can be quite serious. She's drinking excessively (polydipsia) because she's profoundly dehydrated. A condition appropriately called the acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome which is an umbrella term that refers to hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis asociated with a number of infectious and noninfectious causes and lasts less than a week in duration is the most important consideration in minature dogs such as she. These patients become dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced quickly and require administration of replacement fluids intravenously promptly lest hypovolemic shock arises. She's a patient who needs the attention of an on-call vet at a 24-hour facility. Please let me know if such a facility is available to you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I took her to a 24 hour vet and she diagnosed her with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) she wanted to keep her overnight but since I drove an hour to the clinic she gave her some intravenous fluids and penicillin and let me bring her home until I can see my vet in the AM. Thank you for your advice I really appreciated this service. She is truly my baby and I love her dearly. She is still bleeding badly but no more vomiting. I am only giving her small amounts of Pedialyte right now and nothing else until my Vet can examine her. Have a wonderful evening!
Sincerely,
Diann
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for the update, Diann. I'm pleased to hear that she was attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?