Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He seems to have eaten some of the match heads from a match

Customer Question

He seems to have eaten some of the match heads from a match book didnt eat it all but yes eat some og the red heads
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kimba one yr old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kimba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kimba?
Customer: He was just nutered two weeks ago
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please see here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/matches/

A few match heads aren't likely to cause profound morbidity (severity of symptoms) but can cause gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. If Kimba ingested the match heads within a couple of hours, I would induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per pound of body weight (10 mL per kilogram of body weight) with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, the same dose should be readministered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What is emesis? Where can.i get it?

Inducing emesis = making Kimba vomit

Hydrogen peroxide is available at your local druggist. It irritates the stomach lining resulting in vomiting. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok i will try this although he seems alright he's eating and not complaining or wineing and there is no diarria but i will pick hp up to have in the house incase of anythin thank u for ur help.

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?