Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My male Akita is good in the house but when he has free

Customer Question

My male Akita is good in the house but when he has free access to the garage he would rather pee in there than get his paws wet in the grass. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno & 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: No, he's had wellness checks and isnot on any medication.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.

Two parts to the question. We have to decide whether he simply "likes" to go in the garage instead, or if he truly does not like going in the grass. This could be possibly addressed by retraining him like a puppy. Meaning, you'll need to repeatedly take him out to the grass, and when he goes, you need to reward him over and over. It needs to become a routine for him to repeatedly urinate on the grass. The reward must be given immediately while he is still on the grass, so he can develop a positive coorelation with where he is going to the bathroom. He may simply prefer not to go in grass. Even at his age, he can be retrained.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.

I should add, that there can sometimes be issues with the grass itself. If it is uneven, long grass, or even rocks in the grass, it may be uncomfortable for him. Just another thing to consider.