petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog cannot stand up, She was bitten by a dog yesterday,

Customer Question

My dog cannot stand up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: She was bitten by a dog yesterday, has a semi open 1/2 gash below her ear. I flushed it with saline and applied antibiotic ointment. She was walking around until yesterday evening.
JA: Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: She is 16 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: no The has closed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Sofie
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

Did you witness the dog bite? Besides the bite, was she possibly injured or bruised around the neck or spine?

Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

If you help her up, can she support her weight or does she fall back down?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No I didn't witness,sh
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Falls down
Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

Are her back legs limp? Can you feel the paw pads? Are they cold or warm?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Limp but warm
Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

Ok, thank you for the replies. It is possible that she is simply just painful due to the dog bite. If there was other biting that occurred (that didn't puncture the skin) she could be bruised and painful. I can tell you from experience that dog bite often hurt worse the following day then they do when they first occur. What I do worry about however is the possibility of spinal damage. If there was any sort of trauma to the neck or spine as could occur during an encounter, she may have suffered injury to a disc in her neck or back and it could be affecting her spine. This can lead to loss of function and depending on where the injury is determines what limbs may be involved. It is concerning as well that she could walk yesterday and not she can't. That could possibly indicate progression of spinal cord swelling.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

I would strongly urge you so seek veterinary services right away. She needs a thorough physical exam and neurological evaluation. That may mean you need to seek ER services, but you don't want to wait as if the cord is swelling, the chance of the paralysis becoming permanent increases the longer that you wait.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

Do you have ER services nearby?

Expert:  petdrz. replied 13 days ago.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz.