Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My min pin stomach is swollen, more so on the left side. He

Customer Question

My min pin stomach is swollen, more so on the left side. He is slow moving and seems to be weak/ pain. He is 8 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Poppy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Poppy?
Customer: He is generally a normal dog. He got sick Wednesday and vomited 3 times and had a softer then normal bowel movement twice. A couple days before he ate some beef roast on a bone. Thursday he was normal again. Yesterday he swelled in stomach and started acting weak again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm worried about Poppy. Swelling predominantly in the left side of the abdomen might involve either the stomach or spleen - the major organs that live in the left side. I also need to consider a partial obstruction of his gastrointestinal tract if Poppy ingested beef bone along with the roast. His morbidity (severity of signs) dictates prompt attention by a vet who is likely to either X-ray or ultrasound Poppy's abdomen to get a better idea of why such swelling is present.

A general swelling can be due to excess gas in the GI tract as well as an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity. Both can be seen in X-rays or ultrasound. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vet diagnosed him with diabetes, now on insulin twice a day and doing so much better. I do appreciate the help you gave me. X-rays showed everything else looked ok. His labs were off and had to have some pedalite to balance everything back out. Now on a proper diet to help with control of his diabetes also
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Thank you! That's certainly a surprise and a curious finding with Poppy's abdominal swelling history. I'm pleased to hear that he's doing nicely. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.