Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Not sure she seems sick, She just hasn't been as active as

Customer Question

Not sure she seems sick
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She just hasn't been as active as she usually is she can still get up and down from the couch and up-and-down steps but she is definitely Ill not sure if it's her stomach or not
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 yeas old. If we give her any kind of attention or affection she is always really hyper but now she just looks at us with sad eyes like she's in pain. She is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bailey?
Customer: She has been sick a few times before. First time she was just over a year old was lathargic had a boated stomach wouldn't move for days wouldn't eat and at some points her body would just be stiff and she would tremble in pain. The drs thought it could be a infection in her spleen and treated it as such and she got better. A year later she had the same symptoms I took her to another vet and they treated her. They didn't give me all the meds the previous one gave her but I can't remember exactly what the 2nd vet did either. The first time she was sick they gave her all kinds of things like stomach meds and appetite inducers but with the second time she got sick I can't remember what they have her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has she had any diagnostics performed since this newest onset of not feeling well?
2) What breed is she?
3) Is she still active or much less so?
4) Is she still eating and drinking well?
5) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) no
2) spitz,basset hound and beagle mix
3) not active at all. Will not move from couch
4) no she ate alittle bit of food today and I have been giving her water with a syringe because she will not drink
5) no but she sometimes licks her mouth like she's nauseous.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

That said, I am equally concerned about this turning out to be a back issued due to her lack of vomiting and profound lethargy. Beagles, as well as other smaller breed dogs, tend to be prone to neck and back issues. If you notice worsening if symptoms, she absolutely needs to be examined tonight. If this might turn out to be a neck or back issue, keep a close eye out for difficulty walking, a slow hunched appearance when she walks, dragging her feet when moving them forward to place again, knuckling over, her back end swaying, limping in the front end, etc.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot to mention I took her temp earlier and it was 103.5 and about an hour or two later it went down to 103.2.

This is certainly a fever, but it's impossible to know what the cause might be. If it goes any higher than 103.5, she does need to be examined tonight. High normal for a dog is 102.5.