Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is coughing like she has something stuck in her

Customer Question

my dog is coughing like she has something stuck in her throat. she has thrown up bile
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she may have eaten an acorn or stick but ate her dinner no problem
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lacey she is 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lacey?
Customer: very healthy happy
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear that Lacey is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

Having carefully read your question through I would not be at all surprised if Lacey has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound very like kennel cough. As kennel cough would be a front runner for a dog in her age group I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have, a bit like a cat trying to rid itself of a hairball.

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check Lacey over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to make her more comfortable on a home remedy basis.

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

6. Here is a link you can check out for more information on this disease : LINK

7. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lacey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thankyou

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lacey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?