Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

One eye squinting and a little teary and swollen and itchy,

One eye squinting and a little teary and swollen and itchy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddy age 5 vet is closed
JA: How old is Maddy?
Customer: 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddy?
Customer: Our eye doc friend said to use bacitracin No she's healthy

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Squinting (keeping her eye closed) and rubbing her eye indicate pain.

My concern is that Maddy may have gotten plant material or debris into her eye which can lead to a corneal abrasion or scratch. Ideally she would see her veterinarian and have her eyes stained to look for a scratch.

I understand that may not be possible today given the holiday weekend.

I do recommend that you flush her eyes several times with sterile saline. This is the same solution that soft contact lens wearers use in their eyes, ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk for help if you are unsure.

The apply artificial tears every hour or two during waking hours for the next few days until she can be examined. You can find these available over the counter at the drug store too. The more lubricated her eye is the better for it is for her eye and the more comfortable she will be.

Keep her in low light as that will keep her more comfortable. Bright light can be very irritating/painful for an eye injury.

In case this is some sort of allergic reaction you can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours, that's one half of a 25mg tablet per 10-15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours.

Antihistamines may make her very sleepy which would actually be good.

She should be much more comfortable in 24 hours if this is related to a minor irritation/scratch but continue the treatment for at least 3 days and have her checked on Monday.

If she is not much better in 24 hours or she has a green or yellow discharge or bulging eyes she needs to be seen by an emergency veterinarian.

I would also recommend placing an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) on her so she cannot rub her eye. By rubbing she can worsen the scratch and introduce bacteria which could lead to a melting ulcer and permanent vision loss.

You can apply Polysporin ointment (use a brand new tube) to her eye 3-4 times daily to prevent a secondary infection, but only after flushing her eye to remove any debris. I would not use Bacitracin in her eye as that is likely to make her eye more irritated.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will try the saline etc and bring her to the vet if it gets worse. Thanks so much!!

You are very welcome, best of luck with her.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your advice. Gave her half a Benadryl and she woke up next day 100%. We got lucky!

That's great news, thanks for letting me know, Dr. Kara.