Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My 11 pound shih Tzu just licked up some children's sudafed

My 11 pound shih Tzu just licked up some children's sudafed PE that I was pouring for my son, a dime sized puddle (a quarter maybe) is this dangerous for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: She was sick last night, so she didn't eat very much... also she is a disabled dog. Her hind legs are paralyzed due to loss of muscle

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I had to look up the ingredients which are Phenylephrine HCl 2.5 mg.

I would estimate a dimes sized spot to be one ml.

So she may have consumed 0.5mg of phenylephrine which should not be a toxic dose where you have to run her into the emergency clinic for treatment

I would still monitor her for the next 12 hours.

Check her gums which should be pink and moist. A pale or purple color can indicate an oxygen circulation problem or shock. Dry gums are a sign of dehydration.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you SOO MUCH!!!

Put your hand just behind her left armpit and feel her heart. If a couple of hours from now it starts to race and pound against your hand that is a sign of trouble and she should see the emergency vet to check her blood pressure and heart.

So feel her heart now so you know how it feels before any drug has entered her system.

If she still has an upset stomach after last night give her 1/4 of a 10 mg Pepcid AC tablet every 12 hours. Pepcid AC is an over the counter stomach acid reducer.

A bland diet can help with an upset stomach as well. Try plain cooked chicken or left over turkey mixed with plain cooked rice or pasta.

You are welcome. Do you have any additional questions for me?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, I just checked her heart. It is a little fast, but Bailey has diagnosed anxiety, where even Valium couldn't get her to relax during the time our house was being painted... also her gums are nice and pink. I will try a bland diet when she starts showing an interest in food again, at the moment she isn't showing any.

Ok great. You sound all set for now???? I will be online for the next few hours.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I was very worried!!!

My pleasure. : )

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you VERY much, we have 2 dogs, and 2 cats and they are all our babies (aside from our two ACTUAL children) but of course with Bailey being disabled, she's just a little more special...

I totally understand. All my kids are furry and short.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Is she still doing good?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby