Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

I have a English bulldog and she licks her front legs and

Customer Question

I have a white English bulldog and she licks her front legs and they are red. Underneath her neck and sides of her face are red too. I read something about a red fungus and just bathed her in a shampoo with Chlorhesiderm. Is there anything else that I can do? thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She sometimes gets cycts between her toes but i don't see any right now.
JA: What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she's 11.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: Her left ear has a lot of scar tissue - the vet said it's like a cauliflower ear on the inside and I put medicine in it and keep it clean to keep it from getting infected. Otherwise, she is healthy for her age.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 14 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. Sorry to hear about Bella. Poor Bulldogs, they get their share of skin problems. Dogs can get yeast (fungal) infections on their skin commonly. Usually caused by an organism called Malassezia. It may need to be treated with oral antifungals like fluconazole or terbinafine. Shampoo does help but it needs something like miconazole or ketoconazole in it for the fungus. Dogs can also get bacterial infections on the skin that can make it red. Antibiotics are used for that. A test called a skin cytology can be done to diagnose both. That is where you take a glass slide and touch it to the skin then look under the microspcope. You can see both yeast and bacteria that way if it is there.

Often these infections are caused by allergies (food, atopic dermatitis) so in order to fully treat I recommend a product called Apoquel. It works well to control the redness and allergies. I suspect allergies because of the concurrent ear problems.