Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a 10 week old puppy who is in the recovery period of

Customer Question

I have a 10 week old puppy who is in the recovery period of parvo. What is normal after the main illness passes? Mr. Black had a day or two when he was energetic and seemed like a normal healthy puppy again. Now he is off his food and can barely stand up again.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mr. Black
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr. Black?
Customer: I don't think so but I'll answer any questions as best I can
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 7 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 7 days ago.

A typical parvo puppy will progressively show improvement each day with gradual return of appetite and normal bowel function. It is not uncommon to have some intermittent set backs with nausea or softer stool, but Mr. Black should be able to get around well. I worry that his blood sugar is low if he is wobbly. Rub some syrup or honey on his gums and get him into a veterinary clinic to have him checked as soon as you can. If you are not able to have him seen today, then you will need to hand feed or syringe feed him small meals throughout the day until he can be seen by a vet. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for several days after rating my response. take care.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 7 days ago.

I just wanted to check in and see how Mr. Black is doing.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I got some honey in him this morning then again in the afternoon. He has perked up and began eating and drinking. He is still sleeping a lot but I thought that would be normal. He did play with his toy a bit and chewed a bone. All said that's an improvement. Thank you for the advice and it's very thoughtful of you to inquire.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 6 days ago.

Your welcome. Glad he is doing better. I really appreciate the update. Hard not to know what happens. Take care

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm