Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is vomitingblood but acting fine, He threw up blood

Customer Question

My dog is vomitingblood but acting fine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He threw up blood but acting fine
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wind and he is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wind?
Customer: He has heart worms had the injections least the a month ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?

Any brown coffee ground like material int he vomit?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just this one time has he throw up blood it's little bit more than a spoon full his guns are pink and moist no y doesn't look like coffee grounds he has no discomfort and I don't think he ate anything he shouldn't of had
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those other signs and is not likely to have eaten something harmful. Now if you did just see a spoonful or so of fresh blood in his vomit without vomit like coffee grounds (digested blood from the stomach), then this just suggests that the force of the vomit eroded or inflamed the throat. This isnt' a major worry and often soothing the nausea will halt that as well.

Just to note, in regards ***** ***** causes for his vomiting, we often see this in young dogs due to bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here).

With this all in mind, to soothe Wind's stomach we can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can plan to try small meals of a soft/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Wind. We do need to keep a close eye since he did bring up blood but this sounds more like throat inflammation from the vomit. So, we'd want to monitor that and those signs I had you check while starting supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, we see more blood, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He did have the heartworm treatment shot less then a month ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I appreciate he did but if it wasn't more recent, we'd not assume the two were related here. So, we would still use the above as we keep a close eye on him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )