Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dogs eyes are a little puffy (swollen around the eyeball)

Customer Question

My dogs eyes are a little puffy (swollen around the eyeball) and his eyes are almost watery but it's been constant for a couple days now. And he doesn't like to open his eyes unless you call his name he will open them to look at you but then will lose then again a couple seconds after. Kinda seems like the light might be causing the squinting but I'm not sure. He is completely fine other wise though. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: yogi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yogi?
Customer: He's 6. Super healthy and no problems until now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a few pictures of what you're seeing at home?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doesn't look too bad in the photo but they almost look foggy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A lot of discharge too

The puffiness and irritation may be due to allergies. I can give you some recommendations on antihistamines. If you are seeing cloudiness, this makes me worry about worsening irritation and abrasions against the cornea. If you can see this, an exam would be more ideal.

We have a lot of options for antihistamines but my favorite is Zyrtec for dogs. Perhaps the most common is Benadryl. If you go this route, please be sure to dose regularly so your companion gets the best benefit from the medication. http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800