Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog just swallowed a flat piece of rawhide bone. It was

Customer Question

my dog just swallowed a flat piece of rawhide bone. It was probably 3 inches long by 1-2 inches wide! He started choking so we tried to get it out of his mouth, but then he swallowed it down. He is not choking now, acting fine, but I'm concerned about him passing something that large. Will his stomach acid break it down any?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is a 31 lb boston terrier.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

It is amazing what they can swallow. So, the good news is that the rawhide will soften significantly once it reaches the stomach and is very unlikely to cause any major issues. Flat rawhides are typically only an issue if they become stuck in the back of the mouth and even sometimes can flip up over the soft palate. Sounds like he would do better with an antler. They don't break in to large pieces and give them hours and hours of chewing. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread after rating my answers for up to 5 days. Take care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much. My vet closed 30 minutes ago and I wasn't sure if I needed to rush him to the Emergency vet an hour away. I will keep an eye on him and definitely keep him away from rawhide bones. Thanks again!

Your welcome. I am typically online until at least 10 pm if anything else pops up. Take care

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm