VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

Our shih Tzu who is like our child was diagnosed with

Customer Question

Our shih Tzu who is like our child was diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension. He's 13.5 years hold and seems to be doing better since he is on a 5 medications including Sildenfil, Clotigogrol, Enampril, Pimodine and Theyolline. Two questions....1/ It's been tough to give him his meds...even with treats/food. Can we crush the pills and put in food? 2/ On walks he sometimes wants to walk a lot further but we don't let him. Is it ok to let him walk as much as he likes? We will do anything for him and nothing is out of reach for him to be comfortable and happy. Thanks for your advice.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is nothing wrong with his foot? Please can you take another look at our questions. Thank you
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: Obviously this is automated response and not intended to help. I would have paid for your advice.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your question (and am a real person). I'm sorry to hear about everything that's been going on with your boy! Are you still looking for assistance?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

So to answer your questions in order, yes it is perfectly okay for you to crush up the pills and put them into wet food. If you use wet food instead of dry food, it makes it that much harder for them to detect over them smell of the food itself.

As for exercise, given his age and his diagnosis, it's better to take him for shorter walks. They might want to go for more, but lightening up on the exercise is absolutely the best for their heart health when they've been diagnosed with a condition like pulmonary hypertension. I many cases, it's caused by a decrease in heart function, and exercise can put a little stress on the heart muscle itself. So a little bit of exercise is good, but too much overexercise is bad.

So it sounds liek you are doing the right thing for him. Did you have any other questions?

If so, you are welcome to come back at any time to ask follow-up questions, even after you've rated.