Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

3 year old imperial Shih Tzu (4 0, Sorry. I accidentally hit

Customer Question

3 year old imperial Shih Tzu (4 0
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Sorry. I accidentally hit "Sens". A 3 year old imperial shih tzu. 4 pounds. Found yesterday to be extremely lethargic. No fever. Stool is fine. No appetite. 24,000 WBC. Checking urine count. Starting antibiotics. I'm out of
JA: It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Vet called. He ate, but threw up. Have not been able to test urine. Want to rule out pancreatitis. May daughter X-rays. Worried because we are out of town.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Jackson.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. I need help clarifying your post. This is what I believe has occurred so far:

Jackson began to be lethargic and anorexic yesterday. Blood work revealed an elevated WBC count. This indicates inflammation but not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection. A complete urinalysis was planned but wasn't performed "I'm out of" was truncated. Please clarify. Jackson's vet is now considering pancreatitis and X-rays may be performed. "May daughter X-rays" needs to be clarified.

Can you upload a copy of Jackson's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Jackson's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We are out of town. We will arrive home tomorrow throw & see him Monday morning. Supposedly his liver & kidneys tested normally, but he had a 24,000 WBC. His stool is normal. But he has not urinated nor has a vowel movement in over 24 hours. X-rays were normal but revealed an "inflamed gut". Pancreatitis test was normal. Temperature is normal. He has eaten & vomited, but is now keeping it down. He's still very lethargic. He's 3 years old & weighs 5 pounds. Always current on shots & heart worms. He eats Iams for small breed dogs.

Thank you for the additional information. It's going to take some time for enough ingesta to accumulate for him to form stool. He's been inappetent and vomiting but now that he's retaining food, his GI tract should normalize and you'll see his having bowel movements once again. He's likely to be dehydrated if he isn't urinating. He apparently isn't drinking enough to replace the fluids he lost in his vomitus. You can dose him with an infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. His daily requirement approximates 120 ml (4 ounces). Please continue our conversation if you wish.