VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

Running nose, coughing temp 103, Sorry it's a dog she 8

Customer Question

Running nose, coughing temp 103
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry it's a dog she 8 month also has vomiting and diarrhea he vet says it's kennel cough
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Fever started yesterday I'm afraid its distemper
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No I got her from a rescue last Thurs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No it's shows she's got all her shots she went from a running happy playful puppy who now just sleeps
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
how does this work
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 15 days ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your question for you. When was your dog diagnosed with kennel cough? Any medications that she's on?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Right now the vet put her on 1.5mls twice daily of Amoxidrops
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She started it on 11/22

How long has the vomiting been going on?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don want to call you. Please give me your answer via our chat
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Which I was told I would receive if I signed up

That's perfectly fine, the site may offer those things, and you are more than free to ignore them! :)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yesterday morning she vomited up a lot and then throughout the day she cough and brought up little bits of yellow. She coughed up more yellow stuff nut not a lot. About 10 mins ago she coughed up white stuff
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this morning has had diarrhea twice
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
do you think this is distemper

That's a lot more vomiting that we like to see in a dog, and it's possible she may have a sensitivity to the medications, which can be harder on the tummy. Did she have her vaccines?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
on 11/8

If she had all of her boosters, it is unlikely that this is distemper. If she only had ONE vaccine, it absolutely could be a possibility, especially if she's been around other dogs. There are a lot of possibilities with the vomiting and diarrhea thrown into the mix, even something as innocuous as a bad reaction to the amoxicillin. Is your regular vet open today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
According to her records it was Distemper Adenovirus Type2 Parainfluenza- parvoviruses
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if it was her first vaccine then would it take this long for her to get distemper

My main concern at this point is that kennel cough can progress into pneumonia, which requires more intensive care (often hospitalization) to help their health improve. With the vomiting added into the mix, the likelihood that this is something either addition to kennel cough, a far more severe case, or something else entirely is high.

If you got her from a rescue group, chances are high that they have administered all of her vaccines depending on how long they had her. But the development of an infectious disease is more dependent on when they were exposed as opposed to when they received the vaccines. It takes about 7 days for distemper to occur after exposure, so if she was exposed before the vaccine and had no prior boosters, she's still within the time frame where it could develop.

Given that her signs have worsened, rather than improved, I think your best option at this point would be to get her in. Pneumonia can be really hard on their systems, and the faster she receives treatment, the better. If it's a simple reaction to the medication she has been put on, switching antibiotics may easily take care of the vomiting and the diarrhea, but it is good to have them checked out for dehydration when they are sick enough to become lethargic and constantly sleepy at such a young age.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just came from the vet he gave her an injection for her sick stomach. He said she isn't dehydrated and I was to keep giving her water which I'm doing. He said to let her sleep. She did bark while she was in his office but when she's here she just lies beside me and sleeps. He said hopes that her temp will break tomorrow that it normally lasts for about 48hrs

Did he do X-rays to take a look at her lungs?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He said that she has a runny nose which is clear now and normal discharge in her eyes. She breaths like she has a runny nose and sometimes blows bubbles
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Could it be just bad kennel cough

It absolutely could. If they vet checked her over after the onset of the vomiting, and he was unable to see or hear anything out of the ordinary, that in and of itself is a good sign. With her coming from a rescue group and having a vaccine history, I really doubt this is related to something like distemper.

Your options at this point would be to get firm with your vet and ask for more testing, or to give it that 24-48 hours to determine if there's any improvement going on, and take her in again if she seems to be getting worse instead of better.

With a vet visit as recent as this morning, giving her sopme time for the fever to break and the signs to improve is not a worrisome plan of action.

In the meantime, you can try several things at home to help give her supportive care and keep her comfortable, such as switching her to a bland diet, making sure you give the antibiotics after she eats, and taking her into the bathroom with you when you have a hot shower to help give her some humidification.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok I'll just monitor her for now, keep giving her water and take her temperature again in the morning.

A dog's normal temperature is going to run between 100.5-102.5, so 103.0 is a fever, but it is a mild one. If she drops back down into that 102.5 range, she will be perfect.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok I'm just so worried about her. Thanks

I completely understand. It's hard to watch them go through being so miserable. You are most welcome, and you are free to visit this page at any time to ask follow-up questions, even after you've rated, That's included in the service! :)

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have a little humidifier which puts out cold mist is that ok to use for her

Yes, you can put that in the same room with her and it will help add moisture to the mucous, which can make it easier to clear out. IT also helps with the comfort. Just make sure it's not blowing directly on her!

The vet may also be able to provide you with a canned bland diet to help with her tummy. Alternatively, you can try cooked white rice and boiled white chicken breast to help with the diarrhea. Warmed-up food can help them to smell it better, and can also help to stimulate their appetite a little bit.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No it's around her but not directly on her face. If the fever doesn't break by tomorrow what would be the next action/steps

I would get her back in and have the vet take a closer look at her lungs, possibly do some blood testing, and discuss the possibility of alternative antibiotics if she continues to vomit. Amoxicillin is known for being a bit upsetting to the stomach.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok I really hope it breaks tomorrow, it's breaking my heart as all she wants to do is sit by me which I know is not helpings her fever.

The rest is actually good for her! It takes a lot of energy for them to fight off an infection, and she's storing up her strength and getting comfort from sleeping at your side. Like us when we get ill, sometimes they just need to tuck in and take a couple of days off!

I always tell people to remember that fever is a good thing. It means the body is working hard to fight off the infection itself. A mild fever is especially good, as it's not high enough to do harm to them, but shows that the body is responding and fighting appropriately.

Expert:  VetTechErin replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

VetTechErin