Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He acts like he got into poison...he cant sit still and is

Customer Question

He acts like he got into poison...he cant sit still and is racing back and forth continuously and barking non stop. He acts like he is on speed or something
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: no he was fine one minute and the next thing I know he cant sit still. I gave him some mineral oil to hopefully nuturalize anthing he may have eaten
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is a tea cup chihuahua and has hypoglycemia;....but his episodes from low blood sugar have opposite effects. he becomes lethargic and goes limp I just want to know if there is anything i can give him to calm him down
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It's too dangerous to give such a patient anything orally. His mentation (mental status) is altered and oral medications may end up being aspirated into his lungs rather than swallowed. He is behaving as if intoxicated and prescription amphetamine-like drugs, speed, the rodenticide bromethalin, and snail bait metaldehyde all need to be considered. If sedation is needed, his vet should dose your Chihuahua with intravenous diazepam (Valium) which is safe for all of those possible chemicals. Please let me know if any of those chemicals are likely to be causative.