Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She threw up light thick liquid but it was very stinky, I

Customer Question

She threw up light brown thick liquid but it was very stinky
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so.but a few nights ago on Sunday night she got a hole of a chicken wing bone but we got it away from her. She ate cartilage part though.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy. She's 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: Yorkie. About 10 pounds
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 16 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago did the vomiting occur?

Did she have any human food today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you.

How long ago did the vomiting occur?

Did she have any human food today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
About 2 hours ago.
No human food today.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you think this vomiting is at all related to her eating cartilage of a chicken wing bone on Sunday night so 4 nights ago. Do I need to worry about this being a blockage. The smell of this puke was awful. She puked 3 times back to back. No loud noises. And now seems tired but otherwise fine.

I doubt it since it was so long ago. Cartilage should not cause a blockage, it's digestible. So unless she consumed something else, that is also doubtful.