Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

6 month old Aussie ate some pieces of bubble while gone

Customer Question

6 month old Aussie ate some pieces of bubble while gone today. Still a good appetite - what would be the best course of action?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: No, that's about it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you clarify what you mean by bubble? Gum, bubble wrap, etc?

How many hours ago did she eat this? And how much?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bubble wrap three or four pieces they were about 3 in.². She just ate a bunch of food and is now working on a bully bone. Happy as usual With no other symptoms
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This was in the last couple of hours
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

First, I am very glad to hear that Gracie is well in herself, comfortable, and none of those worrisome signs I asked about. In that case, we'd just want to plan to monitor her and start supportive care to help her pass this material. To start, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any bubble wrap material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on Gracie. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods (and may see this in her stools). Of course, any of those signs I noted and we'd want to have her checked to make sure nothing is caught and needs our intervention.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )