Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He is chewing all of the hair off of his. When he walks

Customer Question

He is chewing all of the hair off of his butt. When he walks around his tail is turned to one side and he can't sit sill for very long. I think he is very itchy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He keeps rubbing up and down the side of the couch like he is trying to scratch something.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Dexter
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What flea prevention is Dexter on and when was it last applied?

Is he regularly bathed? If so, how often? What do you use to bathe him and when was he last bathed?

Is he on any meds?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We use K9 Advantix II about 2 months ago. We usually use Dermal-Smooth shampoo on him. We give him a bath about every two months. He is an inside dog so stays clean. We gave him his last bath about two weeks ago and the itching started the next day. We gave it about a week because we thought he lost the oils in his skin from the bath. About four days ago we gave him another bath with Burts Bees to try to help with the itching. That worked a little but today he is really itching. No meds.

The itching above the tail is a textbook concern for those pets who are experiencing fleas. I would highly recommend a bath in regular dawn dish soap, letting him completely dry and then applying another dose of Advantix. The advantix is water proof but it is NOT soap proof, so if you bathe him before the 30 days are up you will wash the product back off.

In the meanwhile, to help with itching, he can take Zyrtec. You can find the dosing here. It may take 3-5 days to give him the maximum relief, so starting the Advantix quickly would be recommended. http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

If he continues to itch, he can go to your vet's office for a steroid shot which should work rather quickly in alleviating the itch.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800