Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My parent's 11 year old Male, Australian Shepherd (65 lbs)

Customer Question

My parent's 11 year old Male, Australian Shepherd (65 lbs) dog and APPROX. 7-10 days ago, my parent noticed he kept getting coughing attacks/panting heavily.He also noticed his eyes weresquinting/shutting a few times so he made a horrible decision of giving him 2-regular strength Motrin. Then the next day he gave him an older script of amoxicillin and Vetprofen 150MG! If I knew of this, I would have known it was a deadly, toxic combination he had given my dog but he did not know that and I live an hr away and was told this too late. Now its been a little over one week, Dr. said he has lymphoma and tumors through out his body, swollen lymph nodes everywhere, bloated stomach for several days, tarry stool for2 days and yesterday was the first day he threw up his food hours later which was the food along with yellow bile so the Dr. said he has a perforated ulcer, internal bleeding and that is what is grave about this situation. The doctor said he has 1-3 days to still be functional (walking, eating, etc) but not too much longer from the internal bleeding. But I need to know what to expect with internal bleeding? What is the most likely scenario? Shock, unconsciousness, seizure or just weakness where he cant stand up? I want to visit him before he passes away and I need to know THE REALITY of how long he most likely, in YOUR OPINION HAS? Also, WHAT FOODS CAN WE FEED HIM to avoid throwing up if that is even possible because once he stops eating or getting up we will be humanely going to get him euthanized at our emergency vet. THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN PROVIDE! The more I know, the better . I need to know time frames because I live 2 hours away and need to plan the drive before he possibly goes into shock or suddenly gets extremely ill.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 10 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about your parents dog. This doesn't sound good. If the internal bleeding is not managed then continued blood loss can lead to severe complications including shock from severe anemia. The dog will be very listless and unwilling to eat. May vomit and continue to have tarry diarrhea. If he wants to eat feed a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and white rice or cottage cheese. You can start giving omeprazole (prilosec) 30 mg daily. This can be obtained over the counter. May help with the bleeding ulcer and appetite. Unfortunately the motrin can also cause kidney failure and with the lymphoma I'm really worried he is not going to last very long. I'm so sorry.

Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 9 days ago.

Just checking in to see how Austin is doing? Can I answer any other questions? If not could you provide a rating so I can get credit for my response. Thanks

Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 6 days ago.
Hi Diana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Austin. How is everything going?

Carole Cocagne