Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

She had pups about two weeks and we just noticed that her

Customer Question

She had pups about two weeks and we just noticed that her teat (off to the side) is raw and bleeding. It looks like she may have scrapped it on something but we are not certain what we can do about it to help her heal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is a 2 year female black lab. She has been healthy. She had 9 pups and is a real good mother. The bleeding just recently started.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 11 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today. Congrats on the 9 pups! Does the teat feel warm to the touch? Is it swollen at all?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We took a closer look and seen that there is a big chunk gone from her teat.

Oh no! Are the pups still nursing well on the other teats?

She may have caught it on something or it may be trauma from nursing. We have to be careful what we put on it because of the pups.

I would suggest cleaning it well with a mixture of vinegar and water 50:50 and then applying either some coconut oil if you have it or a thin layer of vaseline.

She may need to go to the veterinarian for antibiotics if it starts to look infected or becomes swollen, but for today, the above should be sufficient.

Please let me know how I can help further!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We have some sulfamethoxazole/trim 960 mg for her I wonder if that should be started?

Let me check on the safety of that for nursing. Give me a moment.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The pups are all still nursing and growing very well. She is a very good mother. Her appetite is good, eats plenty of food and water.

Thats great news! That antibiotic will be excreted in the milk. It says to use this antibiotic in nursing bitches with caution. In human medicine, it is not recommended to use in nursing mothers. With this information, and the fact that she is doing well, I would hold off on giving that antibiotic.

Using some diluted vinegar will help with infection, and if it starts to look worse, there are safer antibiotics we could use.

Post back with further questions!

Dr. Snow

Feel free to post back if I can help further, and please update me if you get a chance.

Also, please kindly rate me :)