Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We have two Pyrenees family guardians. Our male is 2yrs old

Customer Question

We have two Pyrenees family guardians. Our male is 2yrs old & our female is 4yrs old. We want pups from these two as they are outstanding dogs (great temperament & up to breed standards). We have attempted to assist our male, Kenai, by holding Bella, our female and he just can't seem to get the job done (he ends up spilling his seed & that's that)! Bella is willing and interested,is there anything we can do or just let them work it out? TIA
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Probably the best approach you can have is going to be not giving up. Your statement that "he ends up spilling his seed" is likely unfounded only due to the fact that dogs do not work in the same manner that humans work. The fluid that is emitted during attempts to breed is not semen-rich. It is meant to lubricate the female enough to allow penetration to be simple. If you stop efforts while he is producing the pre-ejaculate, he won't have a chance to get the job done. The semen-rich fluid is typically only emitted when a male dog is fully tied to a female. It can take hours of the male producing pre-ejaculate and he can still successfully breed with a female after a tie is achieved. Don't be afraid to let them try for a few hours and see if they are successful. If not, you do always have the option of taking Kenai to the vet, having them collect him manually and then inseminate Bella.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800