Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We adopted a 2 year old rot/lab mix who had been a rescued

Customer Question

We adopted a 2 year old rot/lab mix who had been a rescued just months earlier. She had a litter of pups that she weened and had been spayed 2 days prior to us adopting her. When she came home there was some vaginal bleeding. We contacted the agency we got her from & they said it was normal & could go on for a week or so.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: The bleeding is now a brighter red and it's been a week now. We try to limit her activity, the bleeding follows whenever she has been moving around. She is an extremely active dog!
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 14 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of the blood you're seeing?

Has she been rechecked for suture removal since the last call to the place that spayed her?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do not currently have a picture of her last spotting. When it happens again I will be sure to snap a pic and send.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When we adopted her there was no mention of need for follow up on sutures
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The people at "Pets without partners" said this bleeding is normal after being separated from her pups and days later being spayed and days later being rehomed.

They are entirely correct, but by now it should not be bright red. When it happens again, please take a picture and send it along. This will help me to evaluate how to best advise you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will do!

I'll keep my eyes out.