Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He was diagnosed with MMM this past week. Couldn't open his

Customer Question

He was diagnosed with MMM this past week. Couldn't open his jaws. Shitzu, 3 years old. She put him on prednisone. He began eating and drinking once his jaws loosened up. We left the house for a few hours, came home and his neck on the right side is swollen about the size of a small tennis ball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chance
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chance?
Customer: That's about all. His tongue protrudes from his mouth on an ongoing basis. It's about 2-3 inches hanging out of his mouth all the time. But that's about it. He's been healthy until this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is the swelling hard, firm, soft, or sore to the touch?

Is it just under the jaw?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.