Katie
Katie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Animal Emergency Hospital
96316800

My 9 month old female dog...in heat...has a tennis ball size

Customer Question

My 9 month old female dog...in heat...has a tennis ball size mass coming out of her. I believe it's vaginal hyperplasia. Can anything be done or do we need to wait until it resolves?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo?
Customer: She's a mastiff ...been healthy otherwise
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Katie replied 15 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Katie, I look forward to helping.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Katie replied 15 days ago.

I agree the most likely thing is vaginal hyperplasia based on your description. The best recommendation is to wait until it resolves, which will likely occur after she completes her heat.

In the meantime, it is important to keep it lubricated with sterile lube that can be applied numerous times per day, 6-8 times at least (no such thing as too much here). And placing a cone to prevent her from chewing or licking it. If she does damage the tissue or it becomes blue/purple, she may need surgery to repair it.

Another important thing is to make she she is still able to urinate. If she goes greater than 12 hours without urinating, she needs to see a vet and they can place her under anesthesia to manually reduce (push) it back in and place some sutures in her vulva.

The bad news is there is literature that says this will recur in about 80% of females. So if you were planning on having her spayed, do it as soon as she has completed her heat cycle to prevent this from occurring again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much! I will definitely be spayed ASAP!
Expert:  Katie replied 15 days ago.

You are most welcome! Have a great Holiday! Thank you for using Just Answer!

When you have a moment, please accept this answer if you were satisfied and provide a rating to Just Answer.

Expert:  Katie replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie