Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog is scratching furiously at his left ear to the point

Customer Question

my dog is scratching furiously at his left ear to the point that he is crying constantly. as well as shaking his head furiously. It is really red inside the ear and i swabbed it with a q-tip and it looks like there is blood. It is 3:00AM where I live is there anything that I can do to help him out. Please Help!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Morrison and he is a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Morrison?
Customer: This is the first problem I have ever had with him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist Morrison.

Do you have any Plain Benedryl in the house?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

You have not responded. I will go ahead and giive you some information to help Morrison. Since his ear is inflamed, there is most likely an infection in there. to calm him and stop him from scratching at the ear we need to give him some plain Benedryl. It can be give at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight. The Benedryl will stop the itching, but the ear will need to be treated first thing in the morning by the Vet. They will clean it and start him on some Medication. If he continues to scratch like that he will wind up with an Aural Hematoma from the trauma to the ear. We need to try and make him comfortable, until he can see the Vet.

Please hit reply for concerns.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I am cehcking back in to see how your dog is doing. Did te Vet check the ear and treat it? Did the Benedryl help?

Joan