Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 2 yr old pup started passing foul gas and has bad breath

Customer Question

My 2 yr old pup started passing foul gas and has bad breath too. He is passing it pretty much non stop very worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We just moved here on Friday it is the property I manage. He doesn't seem happy here
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any dietary changes? New food? new treats? human food?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea no change in food smells like rotten eggs
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is 2 yr old shitzu

He can take a 1/4 dose of gas-x every 8 hours to help with the flatulence. It would likely be a good idea to use a bland diet for a few days to calm his stomach and see if this helps both with the breath and with the gas. If it does not or it worsens, having him examined would be wise. In some cases bad breath can indicate organ damage and we would want to have that addressed medically sooner rather than later.

Bland diet directions: To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800