Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Have an 9 week old puppy. We brought her home from first

Customer Question

Have an 9 week old puppy. We brought her home from first checkup at vet today at 4. fed her at 6 and she threw up an hour later repeately. She has been dry heaving about every hour since and is refusing water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we have seen. The vet gave he a duck and pea pill pocket as a treat.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brynn.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brynn?
Customer: We have had her for three days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did Brynn receive vaccines today?

Any recent changes in her food?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vaccines today. Just her first visit to our vet. We are starting to transition from her original food to another. We are just adding a little of the new food.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pill pocket was to blame for the vomiting. Below I will give you some pointers on calming her stomach. If this continues or turns into diarrhea, please change her diet to a bland one and see your vet asap.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We will take her into the vet tomorrow but are concerned with her not drinking. Would the neaseua keep her from drinking?

Absolutely. Just like with people, when we feel we're going to vomit the last thing we want to do is ingest food or drink. Try the famotidine and give her a few hours, then offer a small amount of fluid. If she holds it down for a hour, give her a little more and continue as the hours pass.